The Peoria Park District hires without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, or disability. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER HOW TO APPLY: If you are interested in any position, you MUST download/print an employment application form. Your application form (along with a resume if one is available) can be:
- Mailed to the address at the bottom of the application
- Faxed to (309) 686-3352
- Dropped off in person at the Noble Center at 1125 W. Lake Avenue in Lakeview Park (Mon-Fri, 8 am-4:30 pm)
Applications will be reviewed until position is filled. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Peoria PlayHouse Children's Museum Internships
Internship Opportunity – Peoria PlayHouse Children’s Museum
POSITION: Contractual Part-Time
- College degree is required. Degree in Education, Museum Studies, Art or Early Childhood Development a plus.
- Must have a demonstrated interest in the field of museum education or museum studies.
- Experience in a formal or informal educational setting working with children 0-9 years of age. Previous experience in a museum or with customer service is a plus.
- Must have excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Experience or desire to work with a highly diverse audience in a busy atmosphere.
- Must have experience or interest in working with children and families in an informal educational setting.
- Ability to interact positively and spontaneously with visitors.
- Knowledge of basic telephone and PC functions including Microsoft Office.
- Ability to contribute to an atmosphere of teamwork and positive energy among staff and volunteers.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously with a minimal degree of supervision.
- The Monticello Intern is funded by the Monticello College Foundation, which exits for the purpose of promoting women’s education; therefore, only female applicants will be considered.
- Participate in creation and implementation of education programming.
- The intern will have responsibility for a PlayHouse Education Program, to be selected in collaboration with the intern. For 2017-18 we recommend that the internship focus on PlayHouse school programs. This would include:
- Deliver high quality customer service by answering questions and assisting guests interested in booking field trips.
- Complete field trip bookings in museum calendar and in our booking system.
- Prepare for and occasionally facilitate interactive field trip experiences.
- Help train volunteers to work with school groups.
- Report field trip supply needs to Education Manager in a timely manner.
- Conduct program evaluation and make recommendations for program improvements.
- Report all visitor comments, complaints, and trends to Operations Manager in a timely manner.
- Follow and support all aspects of the Park District’s safety program.
- Attend all meetings as required.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- $15,000 total, to be paid in bi-weekly increments for a contract term of 52 weeks (August 21, 2017 – August 17, 2018)
- Typical work hours are assigned and performed during the 8am – 4pm time period while the facility is open. The intern will work at the PlayHouse 4 days a week for approximately 29 hours per week; this may include some evening and weekend hours.
- The Monticello Internship has an educational component, which includes:
- Two weeks of training with Education staff and weekly check-in meetings with the Education Manager.
- One day per week will be designated as a training/learning day to explore museum related topics; this may include some travel (there is a small travel budget for this intern).
The Peoria PlayHouse Children’s Museum
The Peoria PlayHouse Children’s Museum is a new children’s museum located in Glen Oak Park that opened in June of 2015. The PlayHouse offers 8,000 square feet of exhibit space with hands-on, interactive exhibits which showcase the industry, culture, and natural environment of Peoria and Central Illinois. In addition to permanent exhibits, the PlayHouse also offers a number of workshops and programs for families, kids, and adults.
The mission of the PlayHouse is to help children become explorers and creators of the world. Successful interns are innovative thinkers and leaders who are outgoing to possess a commitment to diversity and excellent customer service in support of PlayHouse goals.
The Exhibits intern will help the Exhibit Care Coordinator in maintaining the six PlayHouse exhibits. This includes implementing and improving a weekly care and maintenance schedule, and training other museum staff in new approaches and troubleshooting.
In addition, the Exhibits intern may choose to:
- Examine existing signage and propose updates and improvements, and implement approved changes
- Assist with inventorying existing props and make recommendations for vendors, new products, etc.
- Assist with exhibit maintenance and repair documentation and tracking systems.
- Design a 2018 exhibit for the PlayHouse hayloft
- Assist with fundraising for the upcoming Discovery Zone exhibit
- Perform support in other areas of daily museum operations
- Ideal candidates will be highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Open-minded and creative; ability to devise new approaches and solutions to exhibit-related problems.
- Willingness to work with their hands and learn to use new tools and materials.
- This position requires physical ability to bend, lift, etc.
- Be able to use language clearly to convey process-based information such as how to fix an exhibit.
- Previous museum experience is not required. Experience or training working with tools, and/or working with museum exhibits, engineering, or architectural work is preferred but not required.
- Applicants must be upper-level undergraduate (sophomore, junior or senior) or graduate level.
- Understanding of and interest in the experiences and learning processes of children and families.
- All intern placements are contingent upon the successful completion of screening requirements including a background check. Please be sure to fill out application in addition to sending resume and cover letter.
Internship dates and hours:
Flexible schedule is available; interns are expected to work 2 to 3 days/week.
To apply for college internship:
Please complete the Intern Application Form located at:
Please contact Kristin Vannatta, Operations Manager at [email protected] with additional questions.