Regular Volunteer Opportunities
Regular Volunteer Opportunities
Give regularly of your time in your favorite capacity!
What is a Regular Volunteer?
Regular Volunteers are those who wish to serve in the same capacity on a regular basis. This might include supervising a weekly after-school program, weeding and pruning at Luthy Botanical Garden, or any number of regular opportunities.
The time commitment depends on your schedule and the needs of each facility. As they serve the community with us, PPD volunteers team with staff to offer time, expertise and energy. We couldn’t do all that we do without them! We invite you to join them and make a difference in your community. There is a recurrent need for volunteers throughout the Park District. You can CLICK HERE for opportunities and to apply online!
Volunteer opportunities include:
Peoria PlayHouse Children’s Museum
The Peoria PlayHouse will be a hands-on, interactive children’s museum where children, along with their families, will dream, explore, and learn through play. There are many benefits to volunteering at the PlayHouse such as discounts in our shop, passes and invitations to workshops and events, and much more! If you have a passion for working with children and families we encourage you to apply today.
Peoria Zoo – Adult Opportunities (ages 18+) include:
- Interpreters: An exciting opportunity for those who love animals! Volunteers are stationed at exhibits and talk to the public about animals, answering any questions they may have.
- Assistant Zookeeper: Shifts from 10 am-1 pm. A great opportunity to work with animal environments. Volunteers assist in the cleaning of animal displays, windows, floors and other items as necessary.
- Animal Handlers: Love working with animals? Then this is the perfect opportunity! Volunteers learn how to handle and present selected education animals to use in programs and during talks at the Zoo.
Golf Course Volunteers
Golf Course Volunteers at Madison, Newman and Kellogg Golf Courses. 25 Volunteers (ages 21+) needed at each course. Volunteers may enjoy incentives such as waived fees, free course play and more. Duties include: Tracking pace of play and monitoring rule compliance, Addressing necessary course needs, Maintaining full water coolers around the course, Preparing Golf Carts between players, Assisting in the pro shops and handling customer inquiries.
Volunteer Starter Description+benefits
Volunteer Marshal Description+benefits
Coaching Opportunities – Would you like to have some fun developing teamwork skills in youth? Give coaching a try! Training for coaches is provided.
- Minor/Major/Pony Baseball Coaches (May 18-July 11). Practices are weekday evenings and games will be Saturday mornings.
- Tee-Ball/Coach Pitch Coaches (June 1-July 18) at Peoria Stadium. Practices are one hour between 5:30-7:30 pm Monday through Thursday evenings and on Saturday mornings.
- Soccer Coaches (Aug. 10-Sept. 26) at Detweiller Park and Lakeview Rec Center. Practices are one hour between 5:30-7:30 pm on Mondays through Thursdays and between 8:30 am-12:30 pm on Saturdays.
Logan Recreation Center – Job Hunt Wednesdays
Every Wednesday, 9-11 am; Volunteers will assist with searching for jobs, interview practice and creating resumés.
Proctor Recreation Center – After School Youth Mentoring
Monday-Friday, 3-5 pm; Just having someone there can be the biggest difference! Impact the education of middle and primary students at Proctor Center’s After School program by working one-on-one with a child as his or her Homework Helper. Caring tutors may help with math one day and reading the next, all while seeing first-hand the difference made throughout the school year.
The Book Court at Noble Center
Volunteers are needed to interact with the public, make change, and love books. Volunteers may sit and read/work at a desk when no one is there. Can’t volunteer on a regular basis? Substitutes are needed Monday through Friday from 8:30 am-12:30 pm and 12:30-4:30 pm. Volunteers ages 18+ are needed to sort, price, stack and box books from 9 am-1 pm on weekdays.
Tutors for our GED Program at Proctor and Logan Centers. Moonlight Coalition is looking for tutors to help adults achieve their GED by helping with math and reading skills.
Contact to Volunteer:
Coordinator of Adult Learning
Peoria Park District Foundation/Moonlight Coalition
Heart of Illinois Special Recreation Association
If you are interested in helping with regular HISRA opportunities, such as camps, Special Olympics, FOCUS Program or Bowling, please call HISRA at 691-1929 for more details.
Environmental Volunteer Opportunities
- Peoria Wilds Restoration – Volunteers remove woody brush, collect and sow seed, monitor vegetation and more. Check out the website www.peoriawilds.org for details.
- Forest Park Nature Center – Volunteers (ages 16+) needed for trail maintenance. Hike the trails, keep them clean and be on the lookout for any regulation violations.
- Luthy Botanical Gardens – Luthy Botanical Gardens Volunteer App