Luthy Botanical Garden
Our Mission: to provide a garden showcase and resource center, highlighting the vital connections between people and plants
2520 N. Prospect (corner of Prospect & Gift)
Peoria, IL 61603
Get to the Garden by bus using CityLink route #12.
Bob Streitmatter, Manager
Visit us on Facebook! 1st Quarter 2017 Newsletter now available online!
Surround yourself with spectacular displays of spring blooming bulbs or the blazing color of autumn, the Garden offers a tranquil setting to enjoy the beauty of each passing season. Established in 1951, Luthy Botanical Garden encompasses five acres and offers over a dozen theme gardens, a Conservatory, a garden gift shop educational programming, numerous events, a rotating sculpture exhibit and magnificent floral displays.
An Herb Garden, a Woodland Garden, a Rose Garden and a Hosta Glade are just a few of the theme gardens you can find in the botanic garden, and the Garden Gift Shop offers a variety of gardening books, accessories and tools, garden-related gifts, unique jewelry and collectibles.
Our Conservatory floral shows include a Spring Show, Orchid Show, Chrysanthemum Show and Poinsettia Show.
Luthy Botanical Garden is proud to be a member of the American Public Garden Association (APGA). For more information on APGA, go to: www.publicgardens.org/
Garden Hours and Admission
10 am-5 pm seven days a week
Admission is free, but donations are always appreciated! Schools are free unless a program is provided.
Luthy Botanical Garden participates in the reciprocal admissions program sponsored by the American Horticultural Society. In other words, a Luthy Botanical Garden membership entitles you to free or discounted access to gardens throughout the country. To obtain a list of reciprocal gardens located throughout the United States, click here.
Directions to the Garden
From I-74 West: take Exit 89 and War Memorial Drive East (U.S. 150 East); stay on eastbound War Memorial Drive. Continue on War Memorial Drive through 7 stoplights, to Prospect Road (Prospect Road is at the 8th light and approximately 2.5 miles from the War Memorial exit. Turn right on Prospect Road, (which is south); continue on Prospect Road going through 2 stoplights to Gift Avenue. Gift Avenue will be 6 blocks or .3 miles after the 2nd stoplight. Turn left onto Gift Avenue (sign at corner) and follow it to the right into our parking lot.
From I-74 East: take Exit 89 and War Memorial Drive East (U.S. 150 East); stay on eastbound War Memorial Drive. Continue on War Memorial Drive through 7 stoplights, to Prospect Road (Prospect Road is at the 8th light and approximately 2.5 miles from the War Memorial exit). Turn right on Prospect Road, (which is south); continue on Prospect Road going through 2 stoplights to Gift Avenue. Gift Avenue will be 6 blocks or .3 miles after the 2nd stoplight. Turn left onto Gift Avenue (sign at corner) and follow it to the right into our parking lot.
Coming In from Out of Town?
There are several hotels around Luthy!
Find one at https://www.hotelscombined.com/Place/Luthy_Botanical_Garden.htm
Quick Tour of the Garden
- Tropical Conservatory housing tropical plants and succulents
- 15 Theme Gardens/Borders within 5 Acres: Rose Garden, Children’s Garden, Cottage Garden, Crabapple Cove, Fall Border, Flowering Shrub, Herb Garden, Hosta Glade, Prairie Border, Spring Border, Viburnum Border, Wildlife Garden, Wilson Garden, Woodland Garden
- Floral Shows: Spring Show, Orchid Show, Chrysanthemum Show, Poinsettia Show
- Adult Classes & Tours: We offer Garden tours and classes on a wide variety of topics ranging from gardening basics to making hypertufa troughs.
- School Programs & Tours for Children: Introduction to Plants, Nature’s Kitchen, Rainforest Versus the Desert program, Terrarium program, Garden Scavenger Hunt, Garden/Conservatory tours
- Horticulture Presentations: Know Plants, Will Travel: Our professional horticulturists are available to present a wide variety of plant and gardening related talks and demonstrations to your community group, garden club or special interest society. We would also love to provide a private tour of the Garden, so you can get to know it personally. Prices start as low as $40 on site. Call 681-3506 for details.
- Our Garden is Your Garden – Wedding and Public Rentals: Please everyone (especially yourself!) by renting a Garden area or the Conservatory for your next party, meeting or wedding. Call (309) 681-3507 to speak with our Guest Services Assistant or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Luthy’s Landscape Consultation Service
Everyone wants a beautiful garden, and with a little knowledge, yours can be breathtaking! A licensed landscape architect from Luthy Botanical Garden can visit your home/office and provide expert advice. You’ll gain insight into your own landscape design and learn the proper techniques for fertilizing, pruning and controlling pests. Call for an appointment today! For just $40/hour ($50/hour for non-residents), you’ll discover how beautiful your garden can be.
- Luthy has a Letterbox. What is Letterboxing?
Letterboxing is an intriguing pastime combining artistic ability with “treasure hunts” in parts, forests and cities around the world. Participants seek out hidden letterboxes by cracking codes and following clues found on the Internet. Within each letterbox is a logbook and rubber stamp, usually a unique, hand-carved stamp, not a store-bought one. Letterboxers stamp their discoveries in a personal journal, then use their own personal rubber stamp, called a signature stamp, by stamping it into the logbook found with the letterbox, perhaps writing a note about the weather or their adventures in finding the letterbox. Stamp pads are generally not probided in letterboxes; most people carry their own. Finds are then logged online. Visit http://www.letterboxing.org or http://www.atlasquest.com for more information.
Got a Little Time on Your Hands? The Garden Needs Your Help!
Luthy Botanical Garden has a volunteer position for everyone who has some time. Horticulture volunteers are out in the Garden every day, gettin’ dirty and havin’ fun alongside our staff. But wait; we can use your talents even if you want to preserve your manicure! We have volunteer opportunities in education, special event coordination, the Garden Shop and as an office assistant. We offer weekend hours and daytime shifts, so if you’re interested in volunteering for a special event or on a regular basis, call the Volunteer Coordinator at 681-2822.